The World of Beatrix Potter Attraction is a small independent family-run Attraction which has been employing local people and offering job security and a fantastic working environment for over 33 years. Every member of staff enjoys company benefits such as lunch, parking, gym membership and more.
Do you know your carrots from your radishes? Could you be our new Mr McGregor? We are looking for a new Gardener in Charge of our Peter Rabbit Garden and Kitchen Garden.
This is a varied and hugely rewarding role which offers the chance to continue the development of our award-winning heritage garden and maintain the high levels of presentation enjoyed by visitors to the Attraction. The World of Beatrix Potter Attraction is a small independent family-run Attraction which has been employing local people and offering job security and a fantastic working environment for over 33 years. Every member of staff enjoys company benefits such as lunch, parking, gym membership and more.
The Gardener will be responsible for the efficient, safe presentation and operation of the Peter Rabbit Attraction Garden, the Kitchen Garden at Matson Ground, and the displays outside the Attraction, Shops and Laundrama. The Gardener will ensure that the gardens are run along organic lines and the Peter Rabbit Garden is maintained to the highest levels of presentation as it is an integral part of The World of Beatrix Potter displays and reflect the heritage aspects of the World of Beatrix Potter.
The Gardener will also be responsible for the production of plants for use in the garden and seasonal produce for use in the Café. The Gardener will report to the Chief Operating Officer and work in conjunction with those responsible for day to day operations. They will also be responsible for other gardeners or volunteers working within the scope of the gardening operations.
- Oversee the efficient and safe day to day running of the Peter rabbit Garden and the Kitchen Garden operation at Matson Ground
- Maintenance and health of soils and composts used. No peat products to be used and all soil improvers to be organic.
- Pest control within garden and kitchen garden is to be organic if used at all.
- The purchase of seeds, plants and equipment for use.
- The annual husbandry of plants, with attention to rotation of plants between Attraction garden and Matson Ground.
- All of the displays and pots outside the Attraction (courtyard and Café) and shop on Crag Brow.
- Care of plants used indoors ensuring rotation of these.
- Propagation and cuttings of plants used in Attraction greenhouse and foyer.
- The provenance and dating of plants in the garden and ideally in the foyer. The origin of plant varieties used in the garden should predate 1943. Plants used in displays outside the garden will be based upon the efficacy of varieties to provide visual impact.
Development and Interpretation
- The Gardener will be responsible for the development and interpretation of the garden in consultation where possible with the COO and Directors.
- Research and source seeds, plants and equipment for use in the garden that meet both the organic principles and the heritage parameters set out.
- Liaise with COO in the coordination and delivery of events and public relations activities
- Liaise with Marketing team to provide and assist with marketing and photo opportunities based upon gardening activity.
- Coordinate and liaise with exhibition officer for interpretation between garden and exhibition.
Under the direction of the COO and Health and Safety officer
- Carry out maintenance of the garden and its hard landscaping.
- Carry out or assist with maintenance of World of Beatrix Potter grounds and building if required.
- General care and maintenance of vehicles used for garden operations.
For more information or for an informal chat before applying, please contact Stacey McShane, Chief Operating Officer on 015394 88444 or via email [email protected]